Let’s begin with the commonly repeated versus direct out of the bible.
According to Genesis 10:22-31 Masoretic Jewish Torah & Bible
- 22 The children of Shem: Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad and Lud and Aram.
- 23 And the children of Aram; Uz and Hul, and Gether and Mash.
- 24 And Arphaxad begat Salah and Salah begat Eber.
- 25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one [was] Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided;
- and his brother's name [was] Joktan.
- 26 And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah.
- 27 And Hadoram, and Uzal and Diklah,
- 28 And Obal, and Abimael and Sheba,
- 29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.
- 30 And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east
- 31 These [are] the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.
To first understand the people in the correct manner we must undo the editing processes on the word. Semitic people are supposed to be descendants of the father of the Semitic races, Shem, not Sem. That will be the first correction in your understanding of the matter. For the rest of the conversation they will not be referred to by as the Semites but the Shemites. This may not seem to be a large deal to yourself, but you'll get it eventually.
Excerpts from Genesis 11:10-26 Masoretic Jewish Torah & Bible
- Shem [was] an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood ...
- Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah ...
- Salah lived thirty years, and begat Eber ...
- Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg ...
- Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu ...
- Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug ...
- Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor ...
- Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah ...
- Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram, Nahor, and Haran ... and Haran begat Lot
Both of these recorded in the bible are very similar and repeat many of the same names. Some have postulated that they are actually the 2 separate bloodlines but I will not be confirming or disputing that. I will add in another version but from the Northern Israelite Torah where is the version above is from the Masoretic Jewish Text.
Genesis 10:21 From Samaritan Israelite Torah
- 21 And Shechm, the father of all the children of Ehbaar, the older brother of Yefet, he also begot.
- 22 The sons of Shechem, Ealaam, and Ashor, and Arkfakshaad, and Led, and Aaraam.
- 23 And the sons of Aaraam, Oos and Aab'bel,....... Gaataar and Maashaah.
- 24 And Arfakshaad begot shaala and Shaala begot Ehbaar.
- 25 And two sons were born to Ehbaar. The name of the one was Faalaag, for in his days the earth was divided. And his brother's name was Yiqtaan.
- 26 And Yiqtan begot ilmoodaad, and Shaalef, and Ihsreemote, and Yaaraah,
- 27 And Ehdooraam, and Izaal, and Daqleh,
- 28 And Eebaal, and Aabeema'el, and Shaaba,
- 29 And Aafaar, and Aab'beela, and Yoobaab.
- 30 And their dwelling was from Maashaah as it is going toward Sifra, the mountain of Qedem.
- 31 These are the sons of Shehm, to their families, to their languages, in their lands, to their nations.
Genesis 11:10-26 Samaritan Israelite Torah
- 10 The are the histories of the generations of Shehm. Shehm was one hundred years old, and begot Arfakshaad two years after the flood.
- 11 And Shehm lived five hundred years after he begot Arfakshaad, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Shehm were six hundred years, and he died.
- 12 And Arfakshaad lived five and thirty years and one hundred years, and he begot Shaala.
- 13 And Arfakshaad lived three years and three hundred years after he begot Shaala, and begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Arfakshaad were eight and thirty years and four hundred years, and he died.
- 14 And Shaala lived thirty years and one hundred years, and he begot Ehbaar.
- 15 And Shalla lived three years and three hundred years after he begot Ehbaar, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Shaala were three and thirty years and four hundred years, and he died.
- 16 And Ehbaar lived four and thirty years and one hundred years, and he begot Faalaag.
- 17 And Ehbaar lived seventy years and two hundred years after he begot Faalaag, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Ehbaar were four years and four hundred years, and he died.
- 18 And Faalaag lived thirty years and one hundred years, and he begot Reh'oo.
- 19 And Faalaag lived nine years and one hundred years after he begot Reh'oo, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Fallag were nine and thirty years and two hundred years and he died.
- 20 And Reh'oo lived two and thirty years and one hundred years, and he begot Shaaroge.
- 21 And Reh'oo lived seven years and one hundred years after he begot Shaaroge, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of reh'oo were nine and thirty years and two hundred years, and he died.
- 22 And Shaaroge lived thirty years and one hundred years, and he begot Na'or.
- 23 And Shaaroge lived one hundred years after he begot Na'or, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Shaaroge were thirty years and two hundred years, and he died.
- 24 And Na'or lived nine and seventy years, and he begot Taaraah.
- 25 And Na'or lived nine and sixty years after he begot Taaraah, and he begot sons and daughters. And all the days of Na'or were eight and forty years and one hundred years, and he died.
- 26 And Taaraah lived seventy years, and he begot Abraam, and Na'or, and Arraan.
The rabbinic document surfaced in the 17th century, claiming to be the lost Book of Jasher provides some names not found in any other source however it does fit in with all the previous documents. Some have reconstructed more complete genealogies based on this information as follows:
Shem. Also SEM Literal meanings are named or renown (father of the Semitic races - Shemites). The sons of Shem were:
- Elam "eternity" (sons were Shushan, Machul and Harmon)
- Asshur "a step" or "strong" (sons were Mirus and Mokil)
- Arphaxad (sons were Shelach, Anar and Ashcol)
- Ziezi - son of Shem and a grandson of Noah. His name is mentioned in the excerpt Ziezi ex quo vulgares meaning "Ziezi, of whom the Bulgars" but being regarded by some as the first European reference to the Bulgars as a people.
- Lud "strife" (sons were Pethor and Bizayon)
- Aram "exalted" (sons were Uz, Chul, Gather and Mash)
According to modern day historical scholars these represent.
- Elam- Elamites and Khuzestanis
- Asshur - Assyrians
- Arphaxad - Chaldeans, Hebrews, Israelites, Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Ishmaelites, and Qahtanites
- Ziezi - Bulgars and Thracians (though modern scholarship classifies neither as Semitic; the former being Turkic and the latter Indo-European)
- Lud- Ludim, Lubim, Ludians, Ludu, Lydians, and other related groups in Asia Minor (generally classified today as Indo-European).
- Aram - Aramaeans.
Now it is very obvious to myself that the so called Shemite race could not have been a race per say exactly. Either modern scholars are wrong and these are all 1 race that migrated around or they were established tribes that become united under 1 banner for a period of time cementing their bond via marriage, culture, religion and wisdom.
When we begin to look at the history of say the Israelites it become fuzzy and strange considering these tribes of Shem are named in the bible are war with Israel and neither side's story exactly matches up.
When we look at the so called Babylonian and Assyrian exiles of the Israelites the records of the Davidic Jews taken to captivity is that all were taken from the land.
By the records of the Assyrians and Babylonians only the ruling elite were removed from the land. This is an oddity I will drive into deeper in PT 2 of A FORGOTTEN HISTORY - THE SHEMITES.
To round off the article for today i would like to share a few maps of the locations of these tribes of Shem to help give you a perspective. None are perfect but we are looking for the similarities between. Not the errors in accounts but the similarities.
G+ Business: https://plus.google.com/112373178590768262082
G+ Brand: https://plus.google.com/105978365750500458220
Please Follow Us on As many As possible to ensure we cannot be censored or shut down.
(LIKE, SHARE, COMMENT, SUPPORT US & FOLLOW)